With a history as old as Leavenworth itself, we continue to connect with the ever-changing needs of our community.
1892 — Dr. George Hoxey comes to town as a Great Northern Railroad physician.
1923 — Dr. Albert Lessing directs the building of the Cascade Sanitarium.
1925 — The Sanitarium construction is complete. (This building is the two-story structure behind the current facility on 9th Avenue).
1936 — Dr. Marvin Speer arrives for a six-month stay to help Dr. Howard Hopkins through the pneumonia epidemic. He stays, retiring in 1981.
1951 — Dr. Koenig join Dr. Speer in Leavenworth.
1955 — Dr. Gehring arrives. The vision for a new, larger building is decided.
1965 — Cascade Sanitarium becomes a public district hospital and is renamed Cascade General Hospital.
1968 — The Hilfreiche Hausfrauen (H.H. Ladies) volunteer group is established with the mission to raise funds that assist in the purchase of supplies and equipment.
1969 — Jim Ward starts Cascade Ambulance and operates the service out of his home for the next twenty years.
1970 — The larger building is complete and Cascade General Hospital is renamed, Cascade Medical Center.
1981 — Cascade Rehabilitation Center opened as a unit within the medical center. New, therapeutic equipment is purchased providing the first rehabilitation facility for victims of strokes, disabling disease and accidents in North Central Washington.
1989 — Cascade Ambulance, operated by Cascade Medical Center, is established to cover the 1,200 square mile hospital district.
1990 — The Sunshine Ladies volunteer group is established to provide support on promotional days, in the clinic, as well as decorating for the holidays.
1991 — The medical center faces dire straits with antiquated computer systems, a revolving door of doctors, and out-of-date equipment. Patients head to Wenatchee for services, bypassing their local facility.
1992 — The Cascade Medical Center Foundation is established.
1996 — Twelve beds are leased to Wenatchee Valley Clinic keeping Leavenworth’s medical center viable.
1998 — Doug Williams is hired as CEO.
2001 — Critical Access Hospital designation is secured and commences January 1, 2002.
2002 — The remarkable transformation begins.
2004 — Foundation support achieves high-level momentum and the state-of-the-art equipment upgrade begins. The vision for the expanded and modernized facility is developed.
2005 — Voters pass the expansion and modernization initiative with 70 percent approval.
2007 — The levy for emergency medical services passes with 89 percent voter approval.
2009 — Mark Judy is hired as CEO. Construction of the expanded and modernized facility begins.
November 2011 — The four-day celebration is held to honor the community’s newly constructed center for extraordinary healthcare. Built around Primary Care, the medical center serves as a community resource for Ambulance Service, Emergency and Acute Care, Rehabilitation, Physical & Occupational Therapy, and a variety of Diagnostic Services.
December 2011 — Upon Mark Judy’s departure to fulfill missionary efforts in Africa, Jon Davis is brought in as interim CEO. Two months later, Jon is hired on a permanent basis.